Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas in the Dominican


I love Christmas. It really is the best time of the year. For the last 23 years I have spent Christmas at 5713 Browntown Road. And for the last decade or so I have gone to Gatlinburg with my extended family before Christmas. This year was a little different. Yes, I absolutely missed being with my family in the United States but I could not help but realized how blessed I am.

Most traditions in this country come from a Catholic background. There are not a huge number of practicing Catholics but most people claim that they are. So the big celebration here is on “Noche Buena” or what we call Christmas Eve. They usually have a big dinner with lots of family. I got invitations from several of my Dominican family to spend Christmas Eve with them. We already had plans for our team to spend that night together so I could not take them up on their offer but it truly was uplifting.

One night, I think it was the 23rd, three of my best Dominican friends came over and spent the night at my house. Carlos, Cristopher and Overlin came and stayed up almost all night hanging out, watching movies and just enjoying the Christmas vacation. When they were here I told them something that was on my heart that day. I had been missing my Perry family a lot that day because I could not be in Gatlinburg with them but I was so glad that I had family here with me to spend Christmas with. God bless those boys.

Christmas Eve I ate a lot. I had a Dominican Christmas meal with our two Children’s Home workers then dinner with Norm, Kevin, and the three Menas.

Christmas Day I got up thinking I was going to have to go to the airport, but was relieved of that job. So, I stayed in Bobita all day. I drank my Christmas flavored coffee (thank you Trent and Micah) I watched Christmas movies all day long (thank you mom and dad) I worked on my new Harry Potter puzzle (thank you Nikki) and spent the day with the kids. It was by far the most different Christmas day of my life but I was blessed to have friends around to share it with.

I hope that all of you had a very Merry Christmas too.

Oh and I am pretty upset that the first white Christmas in Chattanooga since the 60’s came the first year of my life that I was not there. But no hard feelings.

God,

Thank you for this time of year. Fairfax brought in the Christmas spirit with their group. The second Magi group only strengthened that. And, my Dominican family topped it off. I am truly blessed to be where I am and have such amazing people in my life.

Bless Carlos, Cristopher and Overlin. Thank you for the time I was able to spend with them. I pray that our relationship comes from you and you use me to help guide those boys into a life with you.

Thank you for my Perry family. I missed them the most and wish I could have been with them. They have done so much for me in my life I can not thank them enough.

Thank you for my family. It was a weird Christmas for us but we are blessed just to have each other.

I love you everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment