Tuesday, November 2, 2010

you are special.

Another Saturday and another invite to a Dominican’s home.

This summer I met a lady who is a super special person. Her name is Ana and we had two groups go to visit her for community day this summer. She owner of our secretary, Nubia’s house. But she is more than just her land-lord, she is like a mother to her. She has just recently moved out into the countryside with one of her daughters.

Nubia told me that Ana had invited me to come over at some point, so we went on Saturday.

Saturday before we left I observed a very special encounter between Nubia, our secretary, and one of the street boys from Rio San Juan. His name is Jordan and he has been a part of our ministry for a while. He comes and goes. He has had a tough life and Nubia has been a big encouragement to him. She helps him with his homework, she makes sure that is coming the the events that he can. She is always trying to get him more involved. As she was talking to him she said to him “Eres especial” or “You are special”. I do not know what that meant to that boy right then in that moment, but I know that he needs someone to tell him that he is special. The special thing about it is that this occasion is not the first time I have heard Nubia say these exact words.

There are phrases that stick out in my mind for people that have been inspirational to me, and I know that this one I will not soon forget.

I remember my senior year of high school my English teacher, Laura Lynn Roland would always say as we left class “Have a blessed day”.

After every Spring Sing practice our director, Dottie Frye, would always say “Know that you are loved”

Nubia is a special lady and the special thing about her is that she can see just how special we all are, and she reminds us of that.

Lord,

Thank you Nubia and the reminder that we are all made special, made by you and in your own image. Help me and all of us to remember how special we are. Thank you for the Holy Spirit and the speciality that it brings to us as Christians. Thank you for the special responsibility you have given to us and how special it is that we do not have to be perfect because you fill in where we mess up.

Give us the confidence to know that we are special and the strength to keep fighting for you.

I love you everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment